Packaging & Logistics Technician
(See eligibility requirements below)
Escarpment Laboratories are Canada’s yeast experts, helping brewers craft their best beer. We prioritize excellent customer support and knowledge sharing with our customers, so they can stress less. As one of the final people to handle our products before our yeast leaves our facility, the Packaging & Logistics Technician will play an important role in making sure our customers’ orders are fulfilled as smoothly as possible.
Experience in the brewing industry is not required, but candidates must share our passion for helping customers to make award-winning beers, and for delivering a high-quality customer experience within a culture of continuous improvement. Preference will be given to candidates with previous experience in a shipping or logistics role, an understanding of the fundamentals of microbiology and brewery operations, and a demonstrated ability to problem-solve on the fly.
This position is funded through a grant from the Youth Employment and Skills (YES) program, for which there are some eligibility requirements. The successful candidate cannot have participated in any other YES program and must be:
- Aged 30 years or younger on the start date, which will likely be in early May 2022.
- Currently unemployed, underemployed, or a student.
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Accurate and aseptic packaging of large volumes of yeast and bacteria for pro brewery and homebrew customers.
- Coordinating shipment of perishable live cultures across Canada and around the world.
- Coordinating with coworkers in two facilities to manage inter-facility transfers of product and supplies. Driving a 26’ box truck between the two facilities. Vroom vroom.
- Communicating effectively and empathetically in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Providing concise, organized, and complete verbal and written feedback to management and coworkers.
- Adhering to detailed SOPs to provide a consistent customer experience.
- Keeping accurate records and updating internal databases in a timely fashion.
- Providing cheerful and knowledgeable customer support to those clients who pick up orders.
- Adapting to last-minute changes to accommodate rush orders, and thinking quickly to solve unexpected problems.
- Working closely with motivated and skilled production and sales teams to help meet ambitious sales targets.
- Collaborating within the company to identify new opportunities to increase process efficiencies.
We don’t anticipate the primary job (packaging, shipping, driving the truck) to take up 100% of your time. We’re looking for a candidate with a skillset that will let them find rewarding, productive side projects and run with them or to help us in another aspect of our operations. Have experience driving a forklift? Can you code? Are you a whiz with photography, video, or audio production? Can you jump in on French-language sales calls or help us write a packing slip in Polish? Do you have connections in the brewing industry outside of Ontario? Are you mechanically-inclined and love fixing pumps? We want to hear about it.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, & ABILITIES
- Prior experience in a logistics, shipping, and/or warehousing role is preferred.
- To meet grant eligibility requirements, the candidate we hire must be aged 30 or younger on the day they start, which will likely be in early May 2022. For insurance purposes, preference will be given to candidates who are aged 25 or over, but this is not a requirement. Please state your age in your application.
- The successful candidate may at times be required to drive a 26’ box truck. A valid Ontario driver’s license (Class G or higher) would be an important asset, and previous experience driving large vehicles would be beneficial. Candidates may be asked to submit driver’s history information.
- Previous experience working in a team to complete complex projects is desired.
- Forklift certification would be an asset.
- First Aid training and a familiarity with industrial workplace safety standards would be beneficial.
- Prior knowledge of Shopify and/or ERP software is a plus but not required.
- A background in home or professional brewing or in microbiology would be beneficial but not required.
- Basic web design (HTML, CSS) and/or programming experience would be an asset.
- Candidate must understand the business case of projects, and have a strong commitment to quality and to always delivering a top-notch customer experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Packaging yeast can be physically strenuous at times, requiring lifting and holding ~20kg weights for extended periods of time.
- We take our staff’s safety very seriously. The successful candidate will be expected to adhere to protocols to protect their own health and that of their coworkers, and make suggestions to improve workplace safety.
- We are a growing company (pun intended). This means that priorities and tasks can change rapidly at times. This also means you will have a high degree of flexibility as to how to do your job, and that we embrace an entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving and change management.
- This is a Full-Time position and the successful candidate will be extended a one-year contract.
- The salary range for this position is $40,000-$45,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
- We pride ourselves on being a good place to work. We offer competitive compensation, paid sick leave, healthcare benefits, and free beer. We also insist on a healthy work/life balance.
- A wide range of equipment and ingredients are available to staff for fermentation projects. We encourage all staff to become competent fermentation specialists and to be creative with the art and joy of fermentation.
Anticipated start date for this position is June 2022.
To apply, please email us at email@example.com with the subject line “Packaging & Logistics Technician”. Include your cover letter in the body of the email and your CV as an attachment. Make sure to tell us why you think you are a good fit for our company, and what you hope to learn and achieve while you’re here.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, May 20th, 2022.
Inclusion, Diversity, and AccessibilityEscarpment Labs is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation. Our 225 Hanlon Creek facility is accessible.
We invite and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to the further diversification of our company.