Personally, I love shio koji and how easy it is to use, but sometimes I want to spice things up! This is exactly where this recipe comes from. I had some older shio koji sitting in the back of the fridge, some dried hot peppers from some hot sauce experiments, and decided I wanted to make a shio koji hot sauce. While the consistency wasn’t ideal as a hot sauce, I reimagined it as a marinade and it was perfect!
Note: recipe is only for the fish above!
Making Spicy Shio Koji
- Add all of the koji, salt and water into a container.
- Stir well.
- All of the rice should be submerged.
- Add your dried peppers.
- Let soak overnight.
- On the next day, blend with a blender or stick blender.
Making the Fish
- Place fish flesh side up in a shallow bowl and cover with spicy shio koji.
- Let sit in mixture for at least 1 hour, if left longer the fish will absorb more spicy flavour.
- While the fish is marinating, prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying with some cooking oil.
- After an hour, take fish and rice out of the shio koji, pat dry with a towel.
- Preheat oven to 325 ℉ and move rack to the middle.
- Place on prepared baking sheet flesh side up.
- OPTIONAL: I like to place lemon slices on top of the fish while its cooking. for added flavour.
- Bake in oven for around 13 min or until done.