Here’s a recipe for creating a simple yet delicious fruit juice kombucha!
First Fermentation Ingredients
- 60g/L Sugar
- 1000mL Water (Tap water boiled or filtered)
- 2 tea bags/L or 6g/L (Feel free to use any tea you have)
- Escarpment Labs Kombucha starter
First Fermentation Steps
1. Boil tap water for 15 minutes or bring filtered water to a boil.
2. Steep tea for 5-10 minutes, turn off heat, remove tea bags.
3. Dissolve sugar in tea, stir to prevent sugar from burning on the bottom.
4. Transfer sweet tea to a 2L mason jar (if using smaller jars, half recipe. You don’t not want to fill the mason to the top).
5. Cover the jar with some kind of breathable fabric (ex, coffee filter, tea towel).
6. Allow sweet tea to cool. You can put it in the fridge.
7. When tea is cooled, add the entire contents of the Escarpment Labs Kombucha starter (for 1L or half for 500mL).
8. Ferment! It will take about 1-2 weeks.
(note for those who have a pH meter or pH strips: the pH of the tea at the start should be between 3.5 and 4.5)
Second Fermentation Ingredients
Finished first fermentation
50-100mL of a juice of your choice
1 teaspoon of sugar (if using unsweetened fruit juice)
2 Air tight Bottles (thick-walled, swing top jars)
Second Fermentation Steps
1. Strain off any solids that may have formed in the first fermentation (see Guide for making a SCOBY hotel for the solids)
2. Add your juice of choice to a sealable container. If you use sugar free juice, add additional sugar.
3. Fill container up the rest of the way with your first fermentation kombucha
4. Cap the bottle & wait 5-7 days, checking for carbonation (temperature dependent)
Make sure you refrigerate your bottles before opening!