Job posting: Production Technician
Escarpment Laboratories are Canada’s yeast experts, helping brewers craft their best beer. We prioritize excellent customer support and knowledge sharing with our customers, so they can stress less. The full-time Production Technician will play an important role in ensuring that our yeast is propagated to a high level of quality and delivered to customers on-time.
Experience in professional brewing is not required but is an asset. You must share our passion for helping customers to make award-winning beers, and delivering a high-quality customer experience within a company culture centred on continuous improvement.
The Production Team plays a critical role within Escarpment Laboratories, managing the production of high quality sterile growth media for our yeast as well as monitoring the yeast during the propagation process. High proficiency in communication and working as a member of a team is crucial for success in this role.
- Effective communication in a fast-paced environment within the team. Provide concise, organized, and complete feedback to coworkers and management.
- Safely perform production floor tasks, including but not limited to, making and sterilizing yeast growth media, cleaning valves/parts/vessels, preparing growth medium stock mixtures, pitching yeast and monitoring propagations, harvesting finished yeast slurry from propagators, collecting samples for the laboratory, and cleaning/sterilizing equipment.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment with adherence to existing Standard Operating Procedures.
- Perform tasks when required to assist the laboratory, including but not limited to, cleaning glassware, cleaning floors, sanitizing surfaces and preparing media and solutions for autoclaving.
- Record and maintain data in a recordkeeping database.
- Calibration, maintenance and validation of process equipment to ensure repeatability and reliability.
- Frequently provide feedback to the team as to how the processes of the company can be improved.
- Participate in company-wide initiatives to improve outcomes for our customers.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (all are an asset but not required)
- A Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in brewing, biology, chemistry, or food science.
- Previous experience with good microbiological practices such as aseptic technique.
- Previous experience in a brewery or food manufacturing environment.
- Previous experience in adherence to manufacturing standards such as HACCP, GMP, ISO.
- Previous experience in implementing and improving Lean Manufacturing principles (5S, kaizen, six sigma).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to learn and demonstrate the duties outlined above, with strong attention to detail.
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and get jobs done on time.
- Comfortable in a busy environment, able to adapt to the needs of coworkers and customers, and make thoughtful and timely decisions.
- Prior knowledge of the basic principles of beer fermentation and ingredient utilization is an asset.
- Willingness and ability to work with coworkers and other teams to continuously improve operations and products.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception, the ability to adjust focus and be able to differentiate colour.
- Must be able to lift 20kg safely.
- Must be able to work in an occasionally hot, wet, or noisy environment.
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protective equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, and face shields.
- Able to operate equipment that requires specific safety and maintenance protocols such as autoclaves.
Additional items to consider
- This is a full-time position that may require scheduling flexibility - shifts may include evenings or weekends.
- A wide range of equipment and ingredients are available to staff for homebrewing or R&D purposes.
Anticipated annual salary: $46,737
To apply, please send us an email at email@example.com with the subject line “PRODUCTION TECHNICIAN APPLICATION”.
**Applications will be accepted until Dec 2nd at midnight**
Escarpment Labs is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We invite and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our company.