Job Title: Harvesting Technician
Company Overview: Escarpment Laboratories Inc. is a Guelph, Ontario-based yeast lab offering a wide range of liquid yeast cultures for craft brewers and homebrewers. We strive to provide brewers with accurate quantities of fresh, high-quality for optimal fermentation.
Description: Escarpment Labs is looking for a detailed-oriented individual who will be responsible for collecting the grown cells into sterilized vessels used to transport the cells to packaging and analyzing finished cells. This task needs to be completed quickly and early to ensure the rest of the subsequent tasks can occur on time. The technician will be expected to begin their day early (7am-earlier) to ensure that all harvesting is complete before propagation and media production can occur. The technician will be responsible for preparing everything needed for harvesting the following day.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Harvesting yeast cells from fermenters into sterilized containers
- Clean and autoclave commonly used tools and equipment used for yeast cell production
- Sample, Q.C. and analyze harvest product
- Assist in managing cellar tanks to ensure healthy cells
- Basic cell counting, plating, etc. skills are an asset
- Assist other team members with tasks or projects
- Work with a team to ensure the highest quality product is produced
- Brewing Experience
- Equivalent education or experience in commercial food manufacturing
- Ability to lift 50lb consistently
- Tri clamps and other common brewing equipment
- Pump truck
- Commercial dishwasher
- Bunsen burners and other standard equipment required for aseptic technique
- Cell counting equipment (microscope, haemocytometers, pipettes, etc)
- Small scale propagation systems
- (Optional) Forklift
We pride ourselves on being a good place to work. We offer competitive compensation, paid sick leave, healthcare benefits, and free beer. We also insist on a healthy work/life balance.
A wide range of equipment and ingredients are available to staff for fermentation projects. We encourage all staff to become fermentation specialists, discovering the flavour potential of microbes.
Salary: $22.47 per hour, full-time, 1 year contract
Anticipated start date for this position is January 2021.
To apply, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Harvesting Technician”. Include your cover letter in the body of the email and your CV as an attachment. Make sure to tell us why you think you are a good fit for our company, and what you hope to learn and achieve while you’re here.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, December 10th. Escarpment Labs is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where our employees feel valued, respected, and supported. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation.
We invite and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to the further diversification of our company.